How to Teach
Psychics Physics to Your Dog: Errata and References
No matter how many times you go over the manuscript, some errors are bound to creep into any book-length work. As we become aware of the (hopefully minor) mistakes in How to Teach Physics to Your Dog, we'll post corrections here.
Footnote, Page 71: The Scientific American article on building your own "quantum eraser" is in the May 2007 issue, not the April 2007 issue as reported in the book.
No work about modern science can stand completely alone-- everything rests on a foundation of decades of past work in the field. Here are the original scholarly articles associated with the important quantum phenomena discussed in the book.
- Thomas Young's original paper on the diffraction of light is reprinted in Morris Shamos, ed., Great Experiments in Physics p96-101, Holt Reinhart and Winston, New York, 1959.
- Planck, Max, "On the Law of Distribution of Energy in the Normal Spectrum," Annalen der Physik, vol. 4, p. 553 ff (1901).
- Einstein, Albert, "On a Heuristic Viewpoint Concerning the Production and Transformation of Light", Annalen der Physik 17: 132-148 (1905).
- R.A. Millikan, "Einstein's Photoelectric Equation and Contact Electromotive Force," Physical Review 7, 18 (1916).
- A. H. Compton, "A Quantum Theory of the Scattering of X-rays by Light Elements," Physical Review 21, 483 - 502 (1923).
- H. J. Kimble, M. Dagenais, and L. Mandel, "Photon Antibunching in Resonance Fluorescence," Physical Review Letters 39, 691 (1977).
- L. de Broglie, Recherches sur la théorie des quanta (Researches on the quantum theory), Thesis (Paris), 1924.
- C.Davisson, L.H. Germer, "Reflection of electrons by a crystal of nickel," Nature 119: 558-560 (1927).
- G. P. Thomson and C. A. Murison, "Electron Diffraction by Films of Grease," Nature 131, 237-237 (1933).
- O. Nairz, M. Arndt and A. Zeilinger, "Quantum interference experiments with large molecules," American Journal of Physics 71, 319 (2003)
- "Police study of traffic stops begs questions" by Ed Shamy Burlington Free Press, June 12, 2008 (http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/COLUMNISTS05/806120314/1007/NEWS02)
- "Can subcultures still thrive in the glare of the digital age?" by Ryan Bigge, Toronot Star, June 1, 2008 (http://www.thestar.com/News/Ideas/article/434824)
- "Heisenberg and the Suns" by JSun, May 15, 2008 (http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2008/5/15/510123/heisenberg-and-the-suns)
- W. Heisenberg, "Über den anschaulichen Inhalt der quantentheoretischen Kinematik und Mechanik", Zeitschrift für Physik, 43 1927, pp. 172-198. English translation: J. A. Wheeler and H. Zurek, Quantum Theory and Measurement Princeton Univ. Press, 1983, pp. 62-84.
- Niels Bohr, "On the Constitution of Atoms and Molecules (Part 1 of 3)," Philosophical Magazine 26: 1-25 (1913).
- Schrödinger, Erwin "An Undulatory Theory of the Mechanics of Atoms and Molecules," Physical Review 28, 1049-1070 (1926).
- Hillmer R, Kwiat P. "A do-it-yourself quantum eraser", Scientific American 296, 90 May (2007).
- Single Photon Interference image from http://ophelia.princeton.edu/~page/single_photon.html
- E. Schrödinger, Die gegenwärtige Situation in der Quantenmechanik, Naturwissenschaftern. 23: pp. 807-812; 823-823, 844-849. (1935). English translation: John D. Trimmer, Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 124, pp. 323-38 (1980), reprinted in Quantum Theory and Measurement, p. 152 (1983).
- Wigner's original remarks about his friend appeared in his article "Remarks on the Mind-Body Question", published in the book The Scientist Speculates, edited by I. J. Good. The article is reprinted in Wigner's own book Symmetries and Reflections.
- "Shut up and calculate" comes from a David Mermin column in Physics Today (April 1989, page 4), as he explains in the May 2004 issue (page 10).
- Hugh Everett, "Relative State Formulation of Quantum Mechanics," Reviews of Modern Physics 29, (1957) pp 454-462.
- "Zeno's Paradoxes," Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/paradox-zeno/)
- P.G. Kwiat, "The Tao of Quantum Interrogation," http://www.physics.uiuc.edu/people/Kwiat/Interaction-Free-Measurements.htm
- P. G. Kwiat, H. Weinfurter, A. Zeilinger, "Quantum Seeing in the Dark," Scientific American November (1996), 74.
- Wayne M. Itano, D. J. Heinzen, J. J. Bollinger, and D. J. Wineland, Physical Review A 41, 2295 - 2300 (1990).
- P. G. Kwiat, H. Weinfurter, T. Herzog, A. Zeilinger, and M. A. Kasevich, "Interaction-free Measurement", Physical Review Letters 74, 4763 (1995).
- A. G. White, J. R. Mitchell, O. Nairz, and P. G. Kwiat, "'Interaction-free' Imaging", Physical Review A 58, 605 (1998).
- G. Binnig, H. Rohrer, Ch. Gerber, and E. Weibel, Physical Review Letters 49, 57 - 61 (1982)
- M.F. Crommie, C.P. Lutz, D.M. Eigler, E.J. Heller. Waves on a metal surface and quantum corrals. Surface Review and Letters 2 (1), 127-137 (1995).
- "Corral" image take from the STM image gallery maintained by IBM: http://www.almaden.ibm.com/vis/stm/corral.html
- A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, N. Rosen: "Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete?" Physical Review 41, 777 (15 May 1935).
- N. Bohr, Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete?, Physical Review 48, 696 (1935).
- J.S. Bell: "On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen paradox" Physics 1 #3, 195 (1964).
- David Bohm, "A Suggested Interpretation of the Quantum Theory in Terms of 'Hidden Variables,' I," Physical Review 85, 166-179 (1952).
- David Bohm, "A Suggested Interpretation of the Quantum Theory in Terms of 'Hidden Variables,' II," Physical Review 85, 180-193 (1952).
- P. G. Kwiat, K. Mattle, H. Weinfurter, A. Zeilinger, A. V. Sergienko, and Y. H. Shih, "New high-intensity source of polarization-entangled photon pairs", Physical Review Letters 75, 4337 (1995).
- W.K. Wootters and W.H. Zurek, "A Single Quantum Cannot be Cloned", Nature 299 pp. 802-803 (1982).
- Carlos Mochon, "Introduction to Quantum Teleportation," http://lightlike.com/teleport/
- C.H. Bennett, G. Brassard, C. Crepeau, R. Jozsa, A. Peres, and W. Wootters, "Teleporting an Unknown Quantum State via Dual Classical and EPR Channels", Physical Review Letters vol. 70, pp 1895-1899 (1993)
- Dik Bouwmeester, Jian-Wei Pan, Klaus Mattle, Manfred Eibl, Harald Weinfurter & Anton Zeilinger, Experimental Quantum Teleportation, Nature 390, 575 (1997).
- Rupert Ursin, Thomas Jennewein, Markus Aspelmeyer, Rainer Kaltenbaek, Michael Lindenthal, Anton Zeilinger, "Quantum teleportation link across the Danube," Nature 430, 849 (2004)
- Jacob F. Sherson, Hanna Krauter, Rasmus K. Olsson, Brian Julsgaard, Klemens Hammerer, Ignacio Cirac, and Eugene S. Polzik, "Quantum teleportation between light and matter," Nature 443, 557-560 (5 October 2006)
- Feynman, R. P. "The Theory of Positrons," Physical Review 76, 749-759, 1949.
- Feynman, R. P. "Space-Time Approach to Quantum Electrodynamics." Physical Review 76, 769-789, 1949.
- Julian Schwinger, "Quantum Electrodynamics. I. A Covariant Formulation," Physical Review 74, 1439 (1948).
- S. Tomonaga and J. R. Oppenheimer, "On Infinite Field Reactions in Quantum Field Theory," Physical Review 74, 224 (1948)
- G. Gabrielse, D. Hanneke, T. Kinoshita, M. Nio and B. Odom, "New Determination of the Fine Structure Constant from the Electron g Value and QED," Physical Review Letters 97, 030802 (2006).
- D. Hanneke, S. Fogwell and G. Gabrielse, "New Measurement of the Electron Magnetic Moment and the Fine Structure Constant," Physical Review Letters 100, 120801 (2008)
- Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Path from Foolishness to Fraud (Oxford, 2000).
- Black Light Power web site, http://www.blacklightpower.com/science.shtml, accessed July 2008.
- ''Quantum Healing'' Interview With Deepak Chopra M.D., Interviewed By Daniel Redwood D.C., http://www.healthy.net/scr/interview.asp?ID=167 , accessed July 2008.
- Deepak Chopra, Ageless Body, Timeless Mind (Harmony, 1994).
- Jack Angelo, Distant Healing (Sounds True 2008).
- Tiffany Snow, Forward From the Mind: Distant Healing, Bilocation, Medical Intuition & Prayer in a Quantum World (Spirit Journey Boooks 2006).
- Lionel R. Milgrom, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 4, 7-16 (2006).